AJS Model E1 / E2

   

Make Model.

AJS Model E1 / E2

Year

1925

Engine

V-twin, side valve, detachable head, aluminium pistons

Capacity

799 cc / 48.8 cub in
Bore x Stroke 74 x 93 mm
Cooling System Air cooled
Lubrication Total loss lubrication system with hand pump (Pelgrin mechanical pump optional)
Oil Capacity 1.1 L / 1.2 US gt
Exhaust 2-into-1

Induction

Binks carburetor

Ignition 

Enclosed Lucas magneto, handlebar control
Starting Kick

Max Power

5.96 kW / 7.99 hp
Clutch Multi plate with cork inserts

Transmission 

3-Speed
Final Drive Chain
Gear Ratio 1st 16.0 / 2nd 9.0 / 3rd 5.0:1
Frame Heavy gauge tubing throughout, with steel panelling

Front Suspension

Rigid

Rear Suspension

Rigid, spring loaded saddle

Front Brakes

Internal expanding drum, operated by right foot pedal

Rear Brakes

Internal expanding drum, operated by left foot pedal
Wheels Interchangeable

Front Tyre

700 x 80 mm, Dunlop Cord Heavy Non-skid

Rear Tyre

700 x 80 mm, Dunlop Cord Heavy Non-skid
Wheelbase 1448 mm / 57 in
Ground Clearance 127 mm / 5 in

Dry Weight

143 kg / 316 lbs

Fuel Capacity 

10.2 L / 2.7 US gal
Top Speed (estimated) 80 km/h / 50 mph
Colours Black enamel

The history of AJS dates back to 1897 when the Stevens brothers assembled the first Stevens motorcycle using an American made Mitchell engine. The first of the famous line of side-valve twins was the Model D of 1912, having a capacity of 698cc. Various engine capacities were used in the ensuing years, the 1925 model being of 799cc although the intention had been to introduce a 900cc version.

Rather oddly, AJS who had been the innovators of the saddle tank, dropped this when introducing their new frame for the 1925 season and reverted to the older style of carrying the tank between the top tubes.

Two versions of the Model E1 were available, the de-luxe having fully enclosed driving chains and Lucas magdyno lighting, whilst the austerity model had chain guards only and no lighting set.