Matchless G50

   

Make Model

Matchless G50

Year

1958 - 63

Production

180 units

Engine

Single cylinder, four stroke, SOHC

Capacity

496 cc / 30.3 cub in.

Cooling System

Air cooled

Lubrication

Gear type oil pump

Exhaust

Single, chrome megaphone silencer

Ignition 

Magneto, Lucas dynamo

Battery

6V

Starting

Kick

Clutch

Wet, multi-plate

Transmission 

4-Speed

Final Drive

Chain

Maximum Power

37.5 kW / 51 hp @ 7200 rpm

Transmission

4-Speed

Final Drive

Chain

Front Suspension

Telescopic fork with hydraulic damping

Rear Suspension

Pivoting fork controlled by Girling hydraulically damped units

Front Brakes

Drum

Rear Brakes

Drum

Wheels

Steel, laced wire spokes

Front Tyre

3.25 x 19 in.

Rear Tyre

3.50 x 19 in.

Wet Weight

150 kg / 320 lbs

Fuel Capacity

13.6 L / 3.6 US gal

Top Speed

217 km/h / 135 mph

Colours

Red with black trimmings, Blue with tan trimmings

   

"G50 CSR"

Developed in 1958 from the 350cc AJS 7R, but with the engine capacity increased to 500 cc, 180 G50s (for 50 bhp) were built in the next four years. Although less powerful than its main competitor the Norton Manx the G50 proved highly competitive at three hundred pounds and was faster round bends. If success is measured by longevity then this is the most successful Matchless motorcycles as high specification replicas are still being produced to this day although financial problems at AMC ended production in 1963.
The G50 CSR
In 1963, the AMA decided that the G50 should not be allowed to race in the USA as it was not based on a production street bike. Matchless solved the problem by creating the street-legal G50 CSR, fitting the G50 engine into the G80CS Scrambler frame.
The designation CSR stood for Competition, Sprung and Roadster but quickly got called the Coffee Shop racer. It later became known as the Golden Eagle after the name was used in advertising (due to the gold finish of the engine casings).
By the time the G50 was reinstated, however, it was no longer in production.
There were just two colour options - bright blue with a tan seat or bright red and black with a black seat.
Seeley Condor G50
Financial problems at AMC ended production in 1963 and all the tooling and spares were sold to sidecar Grand Prix racer Colin Seeley in 1966. Seeley went on to develop the engine and made his own custom frames to produce a number of G50 'specials' some of which were known as the called the Seeley Condor. These exclusive motorcycles continue to be hand built to this day to individual customer specifications by TGA Ltd, now based in northern France. As well as building motorcycles from new parts, TGA also convert secondhand racing motorcycles for road use.
Seeley G50Mk2
The Seeley G50Mk2 racing motorcycles built by TGA Ltd are high specification with a Titchmarsh chassis, Walmsley G50 motor, 6 speed PGT gearbox and lightweight fairing.
George Beale G50 replicas
Former Isle of Man TT winner George Beale set up George Beale Motorcycles in Coleorton, Leicestershire to make a range of replica motorcycles, including Matchless G50 racing motorcycles to a high specification which includes a special lightweight frame and swing arm, Ceriani forks and a magnesium six speed gear box with lightweight clutch.