Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans Mark IV

 

 

 

Make Model

Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans Mark IV

Year

1984 - 87

Engine

Four stroke, 90° V twin alloy, longitudinally mounted, OHV, 2 valve per cylinder, All plain bearing engine with two mains and split shell big ends. One piece forged crankshaft. Steel con-rod split across big end eye. Valve operation: Pushrod from camshaft between cylinder bases in crankcase. Clearance by screw and locknut on rocker tips

Capacity

948 cc / 57.8 cu-in
Bore x Stroke 88 x 78 mm
Cooling System Air cooled
Compression Ratio 10.0:1

Induction

2x 40mm Dell'Orto carburettors

Ignition 

Battery & coil
Starting Electric

Max Power

81 hp / 59.1 kW) @ 7400 rpm

Max Power Rear Tyre

72.6 hp / 54 kW @ 7250 rpm

Max Torque

76.4 Nm / 56.4 lb-ft @ 6250 rpm
Clutch Double plate, dry type

Transmission 

5 Speed
Final Drive Shaft
Frame Double cradle

Front Suspension

Telescopic forks variable damping

Rear Suspension

Dual shocks, 5-way preload and 4-way damping.

Front Brakes

2x 270mm discs

Rear Brakes

Single 270mm disc
Wheels Cast alloy

Front Tyre

120/80 V16

Rear Tyre

130/18 V18

Dry Weight

215 kg / 475 lbs
Wet Weight 228 kg / 503 lbs

Fuel Capacity 

25 Litres / 6.0 US gal

Consumption Average

50.3 mpg

Braking 60 - 0 / 100 - 0

- / 36.8 m

Standing ¼ Mile  

12.7 sec / 110.5 mph - 177.8 km/h

Top Speed

137.1 mph / 220.6 km/h

The Le Mans has been Moto Guzzi's top sports bike in the 80s. The big bore lOOOcc version is a recent and welcome addition in 1985 to the ranks but is essentially similar to the 850 Le Mans they have been producing, virtually unchanged, since 1977. The bike has a fine and enviable reputation as a tried, trusted and proven motorcycle. Its design may be dated and the main features are undeniably conservative and traditional. Reliability above all however has won it many friends and admirers.

The 948.8cc OHV V-twin engine with its longitudinally-mounted crank and shaft drive is not, by any stretch of the imagination a high-rewing unit. Low down acceleration and pick up is dismal, unaided by unbelievably tall gearing and a dry, twin plate clutch. Once into its mid-range stride though, with the huge 40mm carburettors really roaring, it makes strong and plentiful power. Top end performance is the long-legged Le Mans hallmark and the high gearing helps it to a blistering top speed of over 140mph with the tachometer barely showing 8000rpm.

Stability and roadholding are very impressive, the bike is surefooted and responsive, a thoroughbred Italian stallion. The double cradle frame has the sump suspended between the down tubes with the engine weight carried low. Equipped with traditionally harsh, twin shock suspension, the only concession to modern chassis design has been the recent adoption of a 16in front wheel wearing a fatter tyre, making the Le Mans quicker-steering than ever. As befits one of the original Café racers, everything about the bike is set purposefully low, making for a keen centre of gravity and a lovely, balanced feel.

Moto Guzzi's integrated braking system is still unique among modern motorcycles and is a boon to safety. The front and rear brakes are linked so that the foot-pedal operates both the rear brake and one of the front discs for measured, controlled braking. A special distribution valve directs 70 per cent of the pressure applied to the left hand front disc and the remaining 30 per cent to the rear. The front handlebar lever brakes the right hand front disc but need only be used from very high speeds.

Overall, the Le Mans is a traditional, curiously idiosyncratic bike with heavy yet strong controls, an agricultural yet unburstable engine and redoubtable Italian handling. The paintwork and finish are excellent. It is a sportsman's motorcycle, a high-profile and ever-popular machine that has long delighted enthusiasts around the world with its tireless performance and peerless reliability.